- Douglas County Courts & Departments
- Probate Court
- Marriage Licenses
For your convenience, you are now able to apply for a marriage license online. Please be advised that the groom is applicant number 1 and the bride is applicant number 2. No appointment is necessary. You must visit our office once you apply online to complete the process. Please bring valid id and the cost of the license, $56 or $16 with proof of 6 hours premarital counseling. Once you receive your marriage license from the probate court, you must have an officiant perform your ceremony in order to be legally married. Please see the Officiants section below. Once an officiant signs off on your marriage license and submits it back to the Probate Court, you are able to purchase certified copies of your marriage certificate. See Certified Copies section below.
Marriage Licenses are issued in the probate office Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm (Pre-marriage blood test no longer required by law). If you arrive after 4:30p, your marriage license application will not be processed.
A full list of officiants available to perform a marriage ceremony is available in the Probate office.
The Probate Judge is available to perform ceremonies at 5pm or later on weekdays and on weekends for a fee. You must schedule in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following items are required to apply for a Marriage License:
- $56 cash, money order, or certified funds without proof of certified premarital education
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
- Both Applicants are required to appear in person to complete the application and receive the license
- Fee is $16 cash, money order, or certified funds, credit or debit cards with proof of certified premarital education
- Identification must be provided in the form of driver’s license, certified birth certificate, valid passport or some other form of valid photo ID
- If there has been a previous marriage within the past year, you must provide a certified copy of the final divorce decree
Requirements of Premarital Education (Optional)
Beginning July 1st, 2005, all persons planning on applying for a Marriage License may successfully complete a Qualified Premarital Education Program. This program must include at least 6 hours of instruction involving marital issues, which may include, but not be limited to, conflict management, communication skills, financial responsibilities, child and parenting responsibilities, and extended family roles. The premarital education must be completed within 12 months prior to the application for a marriage license and the couple must undergo the premarital education together. The premarital education shall be performed by:
- An active member of the clergy when in the course of his or her service as clergy or his or her designee, including retired clergy, provided that a designee is trained and skilled in premarital education
- A professional counselor, social worker, or marriage and family therapist who is licensed pursuant to Chapter 10A of Title 43
- A psychiatrist who is licensed as a physician pursuant to Chapter 34 of Title 43
- A psychologist who is licensed pursuant to Chapter 39 of Title 43
Each premarital education provider must furnish each participant who completes the premarital education required by this Code section with a certificate of completion, which includes language referencing 6 hours of instruction.
Certified Copies of Vital Records-Birth, Death & Marriage
- $25 Cash/Money order for certification and $5 for additional copy of the same certificate, same day - Birth and Death only
- $20 Cash/Money order for certification and $5 for additional copy of the same certificate, same day - Marriage only - (Certified copies of Marriage licenses only available in County of issuance; not County of wedding ceremony).
- All requests by mail should be sent to: [include $1 mailing fee]
- Probate Court of Douglas County
8700 Hospital Drive
Douglas County Courthouse (3rd Floor)
Douglasville, Ga 30134
Monday through Friday
8 am to 5 pm
- Probate Court of Douglas County