Business License / Occupational Tax
DELINQUENT RENEWALS FOR 2021
Occupational Tax is in the process of sending delinquent letters for 2021 renewals. When you mail in your payment be sure to include the penalty amount of 10% in the month of April. The penalty will increase 1.5% each month after April.
Please remember we are closed to the public and you will have to mail in your payment.
RENEWALS FOR 2021 LICENSE
We have mailed the 2021 renewal forms. We are still closed to the public so you must mail your payment and form to us. Please pay with a check (no counter or starter) or money order payable to Douglas County. If you do not receive your renewal form, it is still your responsibility to renew your license. The due date is 12/31/2020. We are still accepting payments without penalties until April 1, 2021.
If you did not receive your renewal form, please scroll down on this page and select Blank 2021 Renewal Form below Documents.
If you have mailed your renewal in, please know that we are processing them as quickly as possible. This past year has been a challenge for us all and we appreciate your patience.
NEW BUSINESS LICENSE/OCCUPATIONAL TAX
Please keep in mind if you are applying for a new license, you need to complete the Business Location Profile form which is found under documents. You can find Documents by scrolling down on this page. Currently the turnaround time for Commercial businesses is 3 to 20 business days and for in home offices 3 to 15 business days.
The Occupational Tax Department is responsible for issuing Occupational Tax Registrations for In-home and Commercial locations, better known as a business license, for the unincorporated jurisdiction of Douglas County (unincorporated meaning not located within the Cities of Austell, Douglasville or Villa Rica even if you have a mailing address/zip code of Austell, Douglasville or Villa Rica).
In addition to Occupational Tax Registrations, this office has other responsibilities:
- Alcohol Beverage Licenses
- Collections of excise tax for Liquor, Beer & Wine, and Hotels
- Door-to-Door Sales Permits
- Enforcing Occupational Tax and Alcohol Ordinances, issuing citations and court summons for ordinance violations
- Issue Server Permits (to serve alcohol to customers in a restaurant or bar setting) for the following facilities. If it is a facility/location other than what is listed below or inside Douglasville, please contact the City of Douglasville at 770-920-3010 for a server permit:
- Acere Cigar, Thornton Road, Lithia Springs
- American Veterans (AMVETS) Post 118, Veterans Memorial Highway, Lithia Springs
- Applebee’s Restaurant 33, Thornton Road, Lithia Springs
- Burke’s Grille, Chapel Hill Road, Douglasville
- Casa Jalisco, Chapel Hill Road, Douglasville
- Foxhall Resort, Capps Ferry Road, Douglasville
- Hilton Garden Inn, Thornton Road, Lithia Springs
- Marlene’s, Emery Circle, Austell
- Mr. PJ’s Buffalo Wings, Chapel Hill Road, Douglasville
- The Olive Tree, Thornton Road, Lithia Springs
- Passenger Carrying Vehicle Identification Badges
While maintaining the above responsibilities, it is vital for continuous education on the changing of State-mandated laws. Research is necessary to continually update the records and keep uniform with State Department of Revenue and Internal Revenue Service regulations. The Occupational Tax Department will strive to uphold the laws and regulations for our community and the public.
New Business Listings
View reports listing new businesses on a per month basis in the Archive Center
H.R. 748 House Bill
Please see House Bill H. R. 748 (PDF) (to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal the excise tax on high cost employer-sponsored health coverage).