Business License / Occupational Tax
The Occupational Tax Department is responsible for issuing Occupational Tax Registrations for In-home and Commercial locations, better known as a business license, for the unincorporated jurisdiction of Douglas County (unincorporated meaning not located within the Cities of Austell, Douglasville or Villa Rica even if you have a mailing address/zip code of Austell, Douglasville or Villa Rica).
In addition to Occupational Tax Registrations, this office has other responsibilities:
- Alcohol Beverage Licenses
- Collections of excise tax for Liquor, Beer & Wine, and Hotels
- Door-to-Door Sales Permits
- Enforcing Occupational Tax and Alcohol Ordinances, issuing citations and court summons for ordinance violations
- Issue Server Permits (to serve alcohol to customers in a restaurant or bar setting) for the following facilities. If it is a facility/location other than what is listed below or inside Douglasville, please contact the City of Douglasville at 770-920-3010 for a server permit:
- April's Southern Bistro, Fairburn Rd., Douglasville
- Acere Cigar, Thornton Road, Lithia Springs
- American Veterans (AMVETS) Post 118, Veterans Memorial Highway, Lithia Springs
- Applebee’s Restaurant 33, Thornton Road, Lithia Springs
- Burke’s Grille/Tombstone, Chapel Hill Road, Douglasville
- Casa Jalisco, Chapel Hill Road, Douglasville
- Chicago Avenue Café, Maxham Rd.
- Cissy's, Veterans Memorial Highway, Villa Rica
- Courtyard By Marriott/Tuscany, Bob Arnold Blvd.
- Fire Lounge, Maxham Rd.
- Foxhall Resort, Capps Ferry Road, Douglasville
- Hilton Garden Inn, Thornton Road, Lithia Springs
- Marlene’s, Emery Circle, Austell
- Mr. PJ’s Buffalo Wings, Chapel Hill Road, Douglasville
- The Olive Tree, Thornton Road, Lithia Springs
- Passenger Carrying Vehicle Identification Badges
While maintaining the above responsibilities, it is vital for continuous education on the changing of State-mandated laws. Research is necessary to continually update the records and keep uniform with State Department of Revenue and Internal Revenue Service regulations. The Occupational Tax Department will strive to uphold the laws and regulations for our community and the public.
New Business Listings
View reports listing new businesses on a per month basis in the Archive Center
H.R. 748 House Bill
Please see House Bill H. R. 748 (PDF) (to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal the excise tax on high cost employer-sponsored health coverage).