Programs and Projects
Highway 78 - Douglas County's Main Street
Highway 78 is Douglas County’s Main Street. The story of this corridor reflects key milestones in America’s history. In conjunction with the knowledge and memories of community stakeholders, Douglas County is using public records to document the evolution of this area in support of a small area plan for the community.
The Steering Committee for the Lithia Springs Small Area Plan met via Microsoft Teams on December 4, 2020, January 15, 2021 and March 19, 2021. The agenda, meeting summary and presentation for all meetings are available below. Douglas County will be working with the Georgia Conservancy and the Atlanta Regional Commission on an implementation guide for these plan recommendations in 2021. Reach out to Allison Duncan at 678-715-5370 with questions or comments on this process.
- Combined Steering Committee Materials for December 2020 to March 2021
- Final Lithia Springs Small Area Plan Recommendations
South Douglas Scenic Byway
The South Douglas Scenic Byway is a proposal to designate 19 miles of Highway 166 as a part of the Georgia Scenic Byways Program. Designation as a scenic byway highlights the scenic, cultural, natural, archaeological, historic and recreational sites along the corridor. If selected for inclusion in the network of Georgia Scenic Byways, future growth along the corridor will be guided by a Corridor Management Plan.
The Draft South Douglas Scenic Byway Corridor Management Plan is available for review. Please contact Allison Duncan at 678-715-5370 or email@example.com with questions or comments.
The Steering Committee for the South Douglas Scenic Byway will meet on Friday, December 3, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. The meeting will be held at the Dog River Library, 6100 Georgia Highway 5, Douglasville, GA 30135. This meeting is open to the public. Reach out to Allison Duncan at 678-715-5370 if you have questions or if you need to inquire about remote access to this meeting.
- December 3, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Summary
- December 3, 2021 Steering Committee Agenda
- December 3, 2021 Steering Committee Presentation
- October 1, 2021 Steering Committee Agenda
- October 1, 2021 Steering Committee Presentation
- October 1, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Summary
- September 10, 2021 Placemaking Subcommittee Meeting Notes
- September 14, 2021 Public Open House Summary of Feedback
- August 20, 2021 Steering Committee Agenda
- August 20, 2021 Steering Committee Presentation
- August 20, 2021 Steering Committee Handout
- August 20, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Summary
- June 25, 2021 Steering Committee Agenda
- June 25, 2021 Steering Committee Presentation
- June 25, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Summary
- May 14, 2021 Steering Committee Agenda
- May 14, 2021 Steering Committee Presentation
- May 14, 2021 Steering Committee Meeting Summary
Thornton/Bankhead Urban Redevelopment Plan
The Urban Redevelopment Plan for portions of Thornton Road and Bankhead Highway was adopted on Tuesday, June 5, 2012. An Urban Redevelopment Plan is a general blueprint for redevelopment and targeting of public and/or private investments in an identified redevelopment area. The adoption of an Urban Redevelopment Plan is the first step in the process of receiving an Opportunity Zone designation. This area has been designated as an Opportunity Zone by the State of Georgia.