The Purchasing Department is established for the effective, lawful and ethical procurement of goods and services for the County government. The County has a responsibility to its residents to ensure that the maximum value is obtained for each Public dollar spent. The spending of Public funds is performed in a manner consistent with good purchasing principles and practices, and in accordance with our local ordinances, State and Federal laws.
The Purchasing Director is responsible for:
- The procurement of all materials, supplies, equipment and services required by County departments and agencies
- Establishing and administering purchasing policies
- Defining how to obtain savings and coordinate purchasing procedures
The Department’s foremost consideration is serving the needs of the County departments, making certain the County departments receive their goods and services in a timely manner and within their allocated budgets, enabling them to conduct their specific missions.
For any Purchasing Department to be truly effective, there must be full cooperation between all work units, departments and the Purchasing Department. To obtain the greatest value for every dollar spent, it is necessary to follow a set of procedures when purchases are made. Douglas County’s centralized purchasing system provides and promotes better internal control, more complete accounting control, and the preparation of accurate financial reports. In addition, the purchasing power of all departments is pooled so that lower prices and better service are usually attained.
- General Information At-A-Glance (PDF)
- How to Do Business with Douglas County Purchasing Department (PDF)
- Security and Immigration Act (DOC)
- Georgia Secretary of State: State Laws, Board Rules, and Applications regarding licensure.
- Governmental Purchasing Association of Georgia (GPAG): The objectives of GPAGare to:
- Study, discuss and recommend improvements in governmental purchasing
- Encourage research
- Promote and foster professional competence and encourage voluntary professional development
- Develop and promote continued maintenance of ethical standards
- Achieve recognition of Public purchasing in the governmental structure
- Establish cooperative relationships towards providing interchange of ideas and experiences
- Promote legislation affecting the welfare of governmental and Public purchasing
- Develop, promote, and adopt simplified standards and specifications for governmental buying
- Institute of Supply Management (ISM): ISM is a communications link with more than 48,000 purchasing and supply management professionals. ISM is a progressive association with a mission to provide National and international leadership in purchasing and materials management, particularly in the areas of education, research and standards of excellence.
- National Institute of Governmental Purchasing (NIGP): The NIGP provides its membership with education research, technical assistance and networking opportunities in Public purchasing, while promoting excellence, enhancing effectiveness, and increasing Public trust. NIGP arms purchasing professionals with the tools that can help to get the job done more effectively and efficiently, raise the level of professionalism of the purchasing staff, and ensure that the processes and methods used will stand up under the strictest scrutiny.
Purchase Order Policy
Do Not Ship Without It
Douglas County has a long standing policy covering the procurement of goods and services. All items procured for Douglas County, and to be paid by Douglas County with collected tax dollars, will only be allowed if the determination is that the cost is reasonable and acceptable, and the best value is received for each public dollar spent. This is evidenced by the receipt of a Purchase Order (P.O.) and P.O. Number.
To guarantee payments of shipped goods to Douglas County, all requests for goods and services purchased on behalf of Douglas County shall not be sent/delivered or allowed for pick-up without a valid Douglas Purchase Order Number.
The delivery of items for Douglas County are to be sent to (unless noted otherwise on an approved Purchase Order):
Douglas County Board of Commissioners
Attention: (Requesting Department Name)
8700 Hospital Drive
Douglasville, GA 30134
Invoices shall be sent to:
Attention: Accounts Payable
8700 Hospital Drive
Douglasville, GA 30134
Emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org