Woodie Fite Senior Center
The Woodie Fite Senior Center is an adult recreation and educational facility for those over the age of 55, and is a part of Douglas County Senior Services that serves active adults with activities and fitness to keep seniors feeling young.
Please note that due to the recent outbreak of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation, the Woodie Fite Senior Center will be operating at a limited capacity until further notice. We will keep you informed of any updates via email and on our Facebook page. Please feel free to call the center with any questions or email us. Please leave a voicemail if we don’t answer the phone and we will return your call within 24-48 business hours. Thank you for your understanding.
Hours of Operation
Our current hours of operation are Monday - Friday from 8am - 5pm. Please check our website for a current list of the month’s classes.
(Hours subject to change for special events)
About the Center
The Woodie Fite Senior Center is a beautiful facility where many friendships have been made, where people love to spend their leisure time, where individuals and couples come to learn and to exercise. Citizens, age 55 and older, find new adventures and explore the wonderful world of recreation. Maslow once said, "The greatest of all needs is the need to belong." We hope everyone who joins us will find a sense of belonging and fulfillment. Our goal is to make a positive difference in the lives of all who enter.
The Woodie Fite Center opened its doors for classes on September 6, 2005. On opening day we had already signed 513 members. Today, we service more than 8,000 members. On August 7, 2012 we broke ground on a new 5,000 square foot addition thanks to a Community Development Block Grant we received. The grand opening of the building was in January 2013 and this much needed space is being used for our growing population of members.
Membership & Code of Conduct
- All members must sign a liability waiver upon joining the Woodie Fite Center.
- Members must be mobile and able to independently operate, both mentally and physically, or be accompanied by a registered caregiver.
- Membership badges must be worn when you are at the WFSC. Additional and replacement badges are available free of charge.
- The membership fee for Douglas County residents is free. The non-resident membership fee is $10 annually and a 25% up-charge on paid classes.
- Membership is open to anyone age 55 and older.
- The Woodie Fite Center is a recreational and educational center, not a day care facility; therefore, personal care is not available.
- We also do not provide meals at the center.
Code Of Conduct
- The goal of the Woodie Fite Center is to promote a pleasant atmosphere where unity and respect for all abound. Membership is a privilege, but may be temporarily or permanently revoked by the following: threatening or hostile behavior, insulting or abusive language (no foul language is permitted), practicing any form of discrimination or violence, violating center regulations, abusing or damaging center property, equipment, or privileges, and not adhering to the Douglas County Parks and Recreation ordinances (posted on WFSC bulletin board). Please feel free to print our membership application from the website and turn it in at the front desk with your photo ID. All new members must present a photo ID before joining the center or registering for any classes.
- Class or activity registration and tuition: Registration is taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Early Bird tuition for the next month’s classes is due between the 15h and 25th of the previous month at a discounted rate. All members must be registered for a class by the 15th of that month. Classes are not pro-rated. There are no refunds unless classes or activities are cancelled by the Woodie Fite Center.
- All classes have a minimum and maximum enrollment. The center reserves the right to cancel a class due to insufficient enrollment, inclement weather, or emergency situations. Spectators are not allowed to sit in on classes unless they have a coupon for the class. All classes are monthly with classes beginning the first day of that month on their respective day. Please visit the links on the top right of our page to register for classes and obtain a list of classes available each month.
- Children and individuals under the age of 55 are not permitted to participate in center activities unless the event is designed for family members to attend (e.g, Grandparents Day). A member may sponsor a spouse who is not yet 55.
Silver Sneakers Program
Silver Sneakers is the nation’s leading exercise program designed exclusively for older adults. Members receive a basic membership at no cost. The program includes use of basic amenities and access to the signature SilverSneakers fitness classes. The program is offered to Medicare-eligible members of a sponsoring organization or health plan. For more information, please visit the Silver Sneakers website.
Please see the class listings for the SilverSneakers notation on price and also feel free to print our monthly list of activities. Anything on the list with a smiley face is a Silver Sneakers class.