GDOT to Hold Public Open House for the I-285/I-20 West Interchange Project
Douglas County, GA - The Georgia Department of Transportation is hosting an in-person Public Hearing Open House PHOH on Tuesday, December 13, 2022, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., at the Riverside EpiCenter, 135 Riverside Parkway, Austell, Georgia.
The proposed start of this project’s construction line abuts Transportation Committee Chair Kelly Robinson’s District 2 border. "Since coming into office in 2008, I have witnessed several major interstate transportation/transit projects go forth north of Atlanta involving I-75, 400, and 85," said Vice Chair and District 2 Commissioner Kelly Robinson,” "It is now our time. These public hearings are vitally important in allowing citizen input, participation, and ownership in a much-needed solution to interstate congestion on the eastern corridor of I-20. Interstate overhead signs and the approach/ramp realignment were the first steps. Accurate reconstruction and extension of the interchange of this I-285 loop will have a material benefit to all travelers, both commercial or residential."
The proposed I-285/I-20 West Interchange project will improve traffic flow within the I-285/I-20 West Interchange and along I-20, from Factory Shoals Road to Hamilton E. Holmes Drive, and enhance safety and operations within the project limits. Proposed improvements to the interchange will:
- Remove the left-hand exit and entrance ramps from the interchange
- Improve the geometric design and vertical grades
- Construct westbound collector-distributor (CD) lanes, or connecting lanes, from I 285/I 20 West Interchange to Fulton Industrial Boulevard
- Construct two-lane ramps within the interchange
- Add lanes along I-20 from Factory Shoals Road to Hamilton E. Holmes Drive (approximately 6 miles)
- Add lanes along I-285 from Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway south to MLK Jr. Drive (approximately 2 miles) to accommodate interchange improvements.
- Modify/replace interchange bridge structures and ramps along I-20, including those over the Fulton County Railway (CSX RR) and the Chattahoochee River
“GDOT effort to hear from Douglas County citizens shows how far we have grown as a community, and having citizens attend the open house is imperative because of how long-lasting this project will be,” Chairman, Dr. Romona Jackson Jones, Douglas County Board of Commissioners. “Once the I-285/I-20 West Interchange Project is completed, Douglas County motorists will notice a severe reduction in bottleneck traffic.”
The Georgia Department of Transportation is offering a virtual option for the public and two live, virtual Question and Answer (Q&A) chat sessions in advance of the in-person event on Thursday, December 8, 2022, from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.to 6:30 p.m., where the public will be allowed to ask assigned subject matter experts questions.
If you have additional questions, contact Matthew Fowler, Georgia DOT program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Angela Alexander, project liaison, at aalexander@HNTB.com to arrange a virtual meeting at your convenience.